Thursday, November 1, 2012

How NOT to Put Pulls On Your Drawers

Ugh.  What more can I say but a big old UGH.

I went to put pulls on the drawers and when I screwed it in - yes I made a pilot hole - the screw SNAPPED.  


So I filled the hole and tried again and it snapped AGAIN. You can see my lousy paint job over the patch in this pic. I couldn't get the broken piece out.  Panic ensued.

I bought a screw extractor but it didn't work.

I banged my head against the wall a few times for good measure.

I googled Restoration Hardware and Gilmore pull and found that their handles are wonderful and their screws are TERRIBLE.  I found this thread about it on Gardenweb.  I SHOULD have checked with the gurus there BEFORE I tried to install them but honestly I figured for the $12 each, I wasn't expecting any problems.  WRONG.

I went back to Ikea hoping that I could find one lone drawer front in the as-is pile.  I can't say just how lucky I was that I attempted to put the handle on the small top drawer instead of the one with the inset panel.  Had it been the panel one I would have been sunk.

I dug through PILES of kitchen odds and sods low and behold I found ONE last liljestad front.  It was the VERY last liljestad piece that had left!

My Gilmore pulls will be installed with square head screws from Lowes.  Ho hum.

No comments:

Post a Comment